A New Food – true bread from heaven
Read John 6:25-59
In verses 1-24 two events took place:
- 1:15: Our Lord fed the 5,000. In verse 14 the people saw the miracle and showed signs of working out that He must be The Prophet (see John 1:25). Here we also pick up another ongoing theme: Jesus knew their intentions (6:15)
- 15-24: Jesus walked on water. In this event we find the disciples seeing Jesus, but they did not recognise Him.
1. Read John 6:26. Jesus knew the inclinations of their hearts. Why did they keep following Him?
2. Read 6:27. Are you one of those people who would rather buy known brands? Is there a risk in buying generic brands products?
3. When it comes to eternal food what “bread” is the genuine article?
4. Read 6:27 again in conjunction with Isaiah 55:1-2. How much does this genuine bread cost?
5. Read John 6:28-29. How can to believe be a work?
In their desert journey God gave the Israelites manna. What effect (in general) did it have on the people?
The people in conversation with our Lord were asking for a major miracle like the manna so they could believe and “do” the “work” of believing.
6. What effect (in general) did it have on the people wondering through the desert?
A bit of theology:
In Exodus 15:26 God said, “If you will diligently listen to the voice of the Lord your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give ear to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you that I put on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, your healer.”
The next thing the people did was to grumble against God. Nonetheless, mercifully He provided manna and quail as food for them.
History tells us that the people all along disobeyed the commands, rebelled against God and intermarried with people, worshipping other gods.
God rescued his people (and all sinners) by giving Someone who was fully obedient to the law, fulfilled it, and also live a perfect life. This Person was Jesus Christ – and He is the bread from heaven. He truely is the Lord who heals (Exodus 15:26)
7. Read Exodus 15:26 and Isaiah 53:5-6. How has Christ become the true manna from heaven?
8. Read Exodus 16:35. For how long did God provide the manna.
9. Read John 6:33. How long does the true bread from heaven last?
10. Read John 6:33. How does this verse correspond with John 1:9 and 14?
11. Read 6:35.
What is the first proclamation made about Himself?
What is the second proclamation Jesus made about Himself?
What is the third proclamation Jesus made about Himself?
12. When Jesus offered the people the bread, He then presented Himself as “the work” in which they must believe. Did they? Read 6:36
13. Read 6:37 together with John 1:12-13. How do these verses correspond?
14. Read 6:38-40. What is the will of the Father?
- For his Son, the Lamb of God who took the sins of the world away (6:39)
- For those whom his Son who would save (6:40)
15. Read 6:41. What was the reaction of the Jews (i.e. the religious leaders/establishment
Read 6:44 This verse quotes from Isaiah 54:13, “They will be taught by God.” The full context of this quote includes the work of the suffering Servant (Christ) who, by his knowledge will justify many, bearing their iniquities (53:11); indeed, “He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for transgressors” (53:12).
Here the “bread from heaven, doing the will of the Father, declares that anyone who learns from the Father will come to Him.
16. Read 6:46. How does this verse correspond with 1:14 and 18?
17. Read 6:46-51 and 1:4
How is Christ “life” and “everlasting life”?
What happens if Christ is not received
18. What, according to 6:53-58, are the “flesh” and the “blood” Christ refers to here? Does it refer to Holy Communion (sacrament)? Read verse 57 carefully!
- Because of Christ’s perfect obedience to the will of the Father, He is the living bread giving eternal life
- He did the “work” for us. The most we can do, is to believe in Him
- Whoever goes to Christ, will never be driven away.